Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) Using R/Mplus software
What is the aim?
This course aims to teach relatively advanced and new topic of Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) based on two popular software, namely R and Mplus. It is designed for young academics such as doctorate students as well as senior academics who are informed about these techniques, but don’t feel confident about using them in their research.
What is provided?
• Theoretical lectures (27 hours)
• Practical computer sessions (18 hours)
• Lecture slides in PDF
• Datasets and codes for all examples in R and Mplus
• An individual discussion about the participant’s own SEM project/paper
• A certificate of completion
• A copy of the instructor’s own book on R
• Access to recorded video lectures until the end of the course
Who Can Participate the Course?
The target audience is academics in the social sciences who need to do research and publish scientific papers based on the structural equation modelling (SEM) statistical technique. Software presentations will be provided in R and Mplus. Some familiarity with one of these software and basic regression modelling will be helpful, but not necessary.
All the lectures and practical computers sessions will take place live online via Zoom/Teams.
Programme and lecture hours
• Exploratory factor analysis
• Confirmatory factor analysis
• Multiple regression analysis
• Path analysis
• Full structural equation modelling
• Mediation analysis
• Moderation/interaction analysis
• Multigroup analysis
• Latent growth analysis
• SEM with categorical outcomes
• Brown, T. A. (2015). Confirmatory factor analysis for applied research (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
• Gana, K., & Broc, G. (2018). Structural Equation Modeling With lavaan. London: Wiley.
• Kelloway, E. K. (2014). Using Mplus for Structural Equation Modeling: A Researcher′s Guide (2nd ed.). London: Sage Publications.
• Kline, R. B. (2015). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling (4th ed.). London: Guilford.
• Mehmetoglu, M., & Mittner, M. (2022). Applied Statistics Using R: A Guide for the Social Sciences: Sage Publications.
The course will be provided in English, but participants may also communicate in Turkish with the instructor if needed
A minimum of 80 percent attendance
limited participants (min. 16 )
Course Start Date: October 30, 2022
Deadline: October 15, 2022
The course fee is 9000 TL (including VAT) and you can access the payment registration form here.
Professor Mehmetoglu has authored several books on applied statistics including structural equation modelling in internationally recognised publishers such as SAGE and Chapman & Hall. Mehmetoglu has additionally published extensive amount of empirical work using structural equation modelling in international refereed journals. Moreover, he has developed several minor and major statistical packages for use in structural equation modelling in R and Stata framework. He has been teaching structural equation modelling to graduate students and researchers in Norway for the past 10 years.
For more about the instructor, visit his website at: https://folk.ntnu.no/mehmetm/web/_site/index.html